Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Trine Game 1 Review

So I know I'm probably not going to be able to make all Trine's home games...but I'll try to do recaps of every game I go to. Here's the recap for the season (and home) opener:
Synopsis: Opening game of the season. Home crowd into it and going nuts. 92-yard kickoff return. Trine Thunder were getting some Manchester beatdown action in. Final score: Trine 24 Manchester 14.
Breakdown: Well there were good parts and some bad parts. Luckily for the Thunder I didn’t see any really bad parts. First the good:
·        Defense looked sharp as did special teams. Really kept us in the game while the offense was finding their rhythm. Except for the part where we couldn’t stop them from running the ball in the first quarter.
·        Manchester’s special teams were awful. Not just bad…awful. Two of their punts barely would have gotten them first downs on fourth-and-long (8 and 17 yard punts) and when they did kick the ball downfield Trine regularly ran through the defenders for significant gains, especially on the 92 yard touchdown return. D3 football, anyone?
·        The offense caught on in the second half.
·        JaVonte Hence and Myron Puryear.
Now the bad:
·        QB Ryan Hargraves really looked out of sync. I won’t go so far to say that he can’t throw the ball…might just have not had the timing down with his receivers. It’s the first game of the year. I’ll give him the free pass on that one. But yes, he looked bad.
·        Defense needed a series to get in gear. Manchester ran all over the D on their first possession but luckily we were able to get the stop on them just outside of field goal range.
·        Manchester.
That’s basically the big things I saw. As I said earlier, this was the first game of the season, so there were gonna be bugs and snafus. But there were bright spots…and hope that every game will be an improvement over the previous.
And that's all I got.
             

1 comment:

  1. Our defense was slow-starting even when I was there. I wouldn't put too much weight on that. and Hargraves had all of last year too... I would be nervous now

    ReplyDelete